Story / 30/03/2023
Tips and hints - How to change seasonal tyres
Every car owner know the importance of being properly geared up appropriately no matter the season. Up here in the Nordics we get to enjoy not only the wonderful change of seasons, but also the changing of seasonal tyres. Many take their car to a mechanic, but why not save yourself some coin and take on the challenge yourself?
Changing your tires is no cakewalk - it requires a deft touch and meticulous attention to detail to keep you safe on the road. But fear not, we’re here to help! With our expert tips and tricks, you can change your tires like a boss, whether you're a seasoned petrolhead or a greenhorn taking your first spin in the DIY game. So without further ado, read on to learn everything you need to know to change your tires with ease and confidence.
- Before you start, do this.
- Park the vehicle on a flat surface.
- Apply the handbrake and put the gear lever in park (if the vehicle is automatic) or put it in gear (if the vehicle is manual).
- Make sure nobody is inside the vehicle.
- Place stop blocks on either side of the wheel and position them diagonally from the tyre to be changed.
- Remove the hubcap or wheel cover if present.
- Loosen the wheel nuts half a turn.
- It is a good idea to use a special wheel nut socket that has a protective plastic sleeve to avoid scratching the rim, and the sides are thinner so you can access the bolt in the rim.
- If you do not have access to an impact wrench, it is an advantage to use a breaker bar handle, so you get a lot of torque. Do not use a torque wrench for this task, you will destroy it.
- Lift the car.
- Place a jack under the car. If you are unsure where to place the jack, you can find information in the car's owner’s manual.
- Lift the car until the tyre is about 15 cm from the ground.
- Place a sturdy and approved jack stand under the car.
- Remove the wheel nuts.
- Take care of the nuts so that the threads do not get dirty, clean them.
- Remove the tyre.
- Mark the position of the tyre: VF (left front), HF (right front), and so on. Good to do if you need to rotate the tyres the next time you put them back on.
- Brush the hub from rust and dirt.
- Replace the tyre.
- If the tyres are marked as above, roll each tyre to the correct wheel hub, and lift them into place. If they are not marked, check whether the tyre has a specified direction of rotation.
- Tighten the wheel nuts.
- Only do this by hand first. Tighten the nuts crosswise.
- Lower the car.
- Tighten the wheel nuts with a torque wrench to avoid damage to the rim and nuts.
- The correct torque can be found in the car's owner's manual.
- Common torques are: M12 - 100-120Nm, M14- 100-140Nm.
- Replace the hubcap or wheel cover.
- Check the air pressure.
- Retighten the bolts after 10 miles.
Recommended tools to use:
- Wheel nut socket with plastic protection and thin walls - 9203N
- Breaker Bar handle - provides power when loosening bolts - 1201A
- Torque wrench - provides the right torque - 1292AG-EP
- Extender 125mm - 920021AN
- Approved jack that takes the weight of the car
- Approved jack stands that can handle the weight of the car
Topic in this article
How customized tool storage transforms offshore wind farm operations
In the ever-evolving world of renewable energy, efficiency and safety are paramount. Ensuring tools are readily available and easily accessible, especially in challenging environments such as offshore wind farms, can make a significant difference in operations. Here we will share the inspiring story of Vattenfall, a leading player in the offshore wind energy sector, and how they significantly improved their productivity and safety by implementing our customized hand tool storage and bespoke hand tool sets.
Embracing sustainability - Efforts to reduce waste and preserve resources
Toolmaking has been around for millions of years and is an integral part of everyday life. It’s no secret that modern manufacturing and consumption is problematic from an environmental perspective, and the toolmaking industry is no exception. However, we need tools to manufacture the technology of the future, to prolong the lifespan of things already manufactured and to improve upon that which no longer serves the planet.
How to change the code on TengTools tool storage
As avid tool users, we understand the importance of keeping your tools safe and secure, which is why we’d like to show you how to change the code on your TengTools tool storage. The combination locks are very user-friendly and can be found in cabinets, tool chests, and wall cabinets. With these clear and concise instructions, we hope you will feel confident in changing the lock on your tool kit.
Key considerations for hand tool storage optimisation
Recently we had the pleasure of visiting Vanessa Ruck and talk about how to organise a tool chest. Being a super talented motorcycle rider, she sure knows how organising a tool chest is crucial for improving work efficiency, saving time on the job, and avoiding accidents.
T Sport Bernau adds another notch to the belt - 2022 FIA ETRC
Recently the T Sport Bernau team travelled to Le Mans, France for the penultimate round of the 2022 FIA Goodyear European Truck Racing Championship. The championship is a great event for fans and visitors with tons of action not only on the track. Show trucks, stunt performances and fireworks served as an awesome backdrop to a variety of entertainment as well as rows of trade stands packed with all kinds of gizmos.
Hydro Thunder – GP Hydroplane series
Miss Marsden Cove 'Teng Tools' is a Grand Prix hydroplane powered by a 468 cubic inch Chev reaching speeds of 273 km (170mph) the fastest automotive powered boats on the water in the world.
Three new partners for Svensk Bilsport in historical collaboration
Teng Tools has joined as partner to Svensk Bilsport (Swedish Motorsport) together with L.Brador and Skydda, where all three new partners are part of Bergman & Beving, which owns and develops strong brands for professional users in construction and industry.
Teng Tools step up partnership with Power Maxed Racing
Teng Tools long term partnership with Power Maxed Racing has been strengthened for the 2021 season. Teng Tools and PMR have worked together since the inception of the team in 2015, forming an enviable bond that sees both brands working together in their pursuit of engineering excellence.
Teng Tools partners up with T Sport Bernau
We are excited to announce our new partnership with T Sport Bernau! Our focus on making sure that the right tools are at the right place when they are needed has made Teng Tools a leading quality brand chosen by professionals as the team at T Sport Bernau.
Team Emirates New Zealand aims for another victory in Americas Cup
Interview with Tom Waterhouse, Commercial Manager, Emirates Team New Zealand, 3 times winners of the America's Cup.
Grand opening of flagship store in South Africa
South Africa’s first Teng Tools flagship store opens its doors to the public. Right in the heart of the industrial area ‘Paarden Eiland’ in Cape Town, a store has set out to revolutionise the hand tool industry.
Teng Tools joins double championship winning DS TECHEETAH as Official Tools Supplier
DS TECHEETAH continues to add to its growing list of team partners and is pleased to welcome Teng Tools to the family. Even during these uncertain times global businesses recognize the numerous benefits of a strategic partnership with the team and the continued growth of Formula E.
The dream workshop with Vanessa Ruck
In 2017 Vanessa Ruck, aka TheGirlOnABike, and her husband broke ground on a mission to build their dream garage. This is her story.
2020 - A different racing year for Suzuki Sweden
Robert Reijers, the team manager behind Suzuki Sweden, sums up the competition year 2020 as a very different year, where the pandemic has had a great impact. It has been a tough year for many in the sport, not least when the opportunities for pre-season training deteriorated sharply.
The dream came through
When the company Nordnorsk Marincenter moved into new facilities they built the kitchen with red TengTools cabinets.